Salvationist Theater Artists ages 16 and older
Please read all guidelines and requirements carefully before you complete this application.
The Salvation Army USA Central Territory has commissioned a full-length Broadway style musical to be written by playwright Joe Caddy (Bill Booth Theater Company) and songwriter Phil Laeger (formerly of transMission). This piece, entitled “A LONG WAY OFF”, is now seeking applications and auditions for actor/performers for its debut production in June 2018.
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older by January 1, 2018.
- In order to be cast in the show, applicants must exhibit:
Ongoing discipleship to Jesus Christ. Active service and upstanding soldiership in their corps. A demonstration of musical and theatrical skill through two rounds of auditions.
- All applicants must be able to commit to ALWO rehearsal obligations and secure approval by corps and divisional leadership in order to participate as a member of the cast or crew.
- All Applicants must complete their preliminary application online at this site by clicking 'apply' below. Confirmation of acceptance and/or call-back will be sent by email to address given on this form.
- All Applicants must provide in their application a link to where their audition video has been securely posted to an online video sharing site (ex. Vimeo or YouTube). NOTE: Due to complications with privacy restrictions, videos posted to Facebook cannot be accepted.
Audition Requirements for Ensemble Members will include:
· Solo vocal performance of a 32-64 measure excerpt from a pop song or musical theater piece of their choice that best highlights their voice.
Auditions are offered via video only and all application/auditions must be completed by midnight September 24, 2017 (central time).
Round 2 will take place in-person only at a callback workshop at THQ October 13-14, 2017. This workshop will have a dance/movement proponent to it and the combination will be taught on-site (no prior preparation needed).
Audition Notes from Joe:
In choosing a song for Round 1, something that suits your style and vocal range is best...don't worry about being too character specific for the show. Pop or musical theater (or maybe even like Michael Buble-esque jazz crooning) are good styles to pick from because they best represent the styles in the show. Feel free to seek outside help and wise counsel to help you prepare for this round. Your resourcefulness will be a valuable asset.
A few notes about ALWO Rehearsal schedule:
Musical rehearsals will begin with a full cast read-through and vocal rehearsals at THQ, November 3-5, 2017. The rest of November and December will be given for personal preparation before rehearsal weekends resume in late January. ALWO rehearsals will take place one weekend per month from January through April 2018, two weekends in May (including Memorial Day weekend), and production of the show will be at Commissioning weekend in early June. Travel and housing subsidies will be provided for cast members traveling in from out of town for rehearsals. All Commissioning related lodging/meal expenses will be provided for cast and crew.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me at the e-mail below if you have any specific questions. On behalf of Phil Laeger and I, thank you for your interest in A LONG WAY OFF. We’re really excited to take the next steps of this journey and bring this story to life on stage.
- JOE CADDY
The Salvation Army
Music and Gospel Arts Department
5550 Prairie Stone Parkway
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192